Sylvie’s Gluten-Free Black Forest Cake
This was the cake of choice voted to give to the President, Sylvie Rochette, on her birthday!
1 recipeFlourless Chocolate Cake, or 3—8” gluten-free round chocolate cakes.
1⁄4 cup kirsch (cherry brandy), optional
1 cup whipping cream
1⁄3 cup icing sugar
2 tsp vanilla extract
2 cups preserved cherries, drained, divided
1⁄2 cup dark Belgian chocolate
2 tbsp whipping cream
2 tsp clear corn syrup
chocolate sprinkles, to taste
extra cherries, optional
- Prepare Flourless Chocolate Cake according to recipe. Cool completely, then, using dental floss or a long thin knife, slice the cake horizontally into thirds. If making ahead, tightly wrap each in plastic and refrigerate overnight, or place in freezer bags and freeze up to 1 month.
- For the filling, finely chop 1 cup of cherries, then pat dry in a kitchen towel to absorb as much liquid as possible. Set remaining whole cherries aside.
- Using an electric mixer, beat whipping cream with sugar and vanilla until stiff peaks form when beaters are lifted. Spoon approximately 1 cup of filling into a small bowl. Gently fold chopped cherries into remaining filling.
- To make the glaze, place dark Belgian chocolate in a microwave-safe bowl. Pour in whipping cream and corn syrup. Microwave on medium at 15 second intervals until completely melted. Whisk to mix evenly.
- To assemble the cake, brush each layer with kirsch, if using. Place one layer on a serving plate and spread with half the chopped cherry filling, leaving a 1⁄2” border from the edge. Gently top with another cake layer. Spread remaining chopped cherry filling overtop, then top with remaining cake layer. Tuck half the reserved cherries into the sides of the cake to fill holes in the cream layers.
- Spread top layer with glaze. Let set, then pipe remaining plain filling into decorative swirls or rosettes on top. Garnish with chocolate sprinkles and extra whole cherries, if using.
Per serving: Calories 400, Fat 26 g (Saturated 14 g, Trans 0.2 g), Cholesterol 135 mg, Sodium 85 mg, Carbohydrate 36 g (Fibre 3 g, Sugars 26 g), Protein 6 g.