Flourless Chocolate Cake
A little time and effort pays off with this decadent dessert, with its light crust and a moist, 'fudgy' centre.
6 tbsp butter
1 1⁄2 cups dark chocolate chips
6 large eggs, separated
1⁄2 cup sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
3 tbsp cocoa powder, or icing sugar, for dusting
- Preheat oven to 325° F (160° C).
- Lightly butter a 9" springform pan and set aside.
- Combine butter and dark Belgian chocolate in microwaveable bowl. Microwave in 30-second intervals, stirring each time until melted. Cool slightly.
- Whisk egg yolks into chocolate mixture. In a second bowl, whisk egg whites with sugar and vanilla. Beat until stiff and glossy.
- Fold 1⁄4 of beaten egg whites into chocolate mixture. Take this mixture, and using a spatula, gently fold into remaining egg whites.
- Spoon into prepared springform pan and smooth top. Bake until cake comes away from the sides, approximately 25-30 minutes. Cool cake in pan on a rack for 5 minutes before running a knife around the outside edge. Remove collar of pan and let cake cool completely. The centre will fall during baking, making it moist and 'fudgy' in the centre.
- Dust with cocoa powder or icing sugar.
Per serving: Calories 450, Fat 27 g (Saturated 15 g, Trans 0.3 g), Cholesterol 205 mg, Sodium 125 mg, Carbohydrate 39 g (Fibre 4 g, Sugars 33 g), Protein 8 g.