1 cup shortening
1⁄2 cup packed brown sugar
1⁄2 cup white sugar
2 tsp almond extract
1⁄2 cup ground almonds
2 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
1 1⁄2 tsp baking powder
1⁄2 tsp baking soda
1⁄4 tsp salt
1⁄3 cup blanched whole almonds
1 egg yolk
1 tsp water
- Preheat oven to 350° F (175° C).
- Cream shortening and sugars in a large mixing bowl until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs, almond extract and almonds.
- Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a separate large bowl. Gradually blend into creamed mixture.
- Shape dough into 1 1⁄4" balls and place 2" apart on Sheet Pan lined with Sheet Pan Liner. Press a whole almond into each cookie.
- Whisk egg yolk and water together in a small mixing bowl. Lightly brush over cookies.
- Bake for 15 minutes or until golden brown. Let cool on baking sheet for 5 minutes before transferring to a cooling rack.
- Store in an airtight container for up to 1 week.