A super-quick take on the classic casserole that’s easy to assemble and outshines the minimal effort! A favourite meal for entertaining, or ending your week on a unique Greek note.
2 1⁄2 lbs (1.1 kg) eggplant, cubed
6 tbsp olive oil, divided
1 tsp Herbed Garlic Sea Salt Blend, plus more to season
1 medium onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 medium carrots, chopped
1 lb (450 g) lean ground beef or lamb
1 can (28 oz/798 ml) diced tomatoes, drained
2 tsp tomato paste
1 tsp Souvlaki Seasoning
1 cup low-fat ricotta cheese
3⁄4 cup low-fat feta cheese, crumbled
1 large egg
Black Pepper (Grinder), to taste
- Preheat oven to 425° F (220° C).
- Lightly oil a 9’’x 13’’ baking dish.
- On a Sheet Pan, toss eggplant with 5 tbsp olive oil and Herbed Garlic Sea Salt. Spread in a single layer, and roast until soft and lightly browned in spots, approximately 20 minutes. Transfer to baking dish, arranging in an even layer.
- Meanwhile, in frying pan, warm remaining 1 tbsp olive oil over medium heat. Add onion, garlic, carrots, and ground meat.
- Stir in tomatoes, tomato paste, and Souvlaki Seasoning. Simmer for approximately 15 minutes. Spread mixture evenly over the eggplant.
- In a small bowl, mix ricotta, feta, egg, Black Pepper, and additional Herbed Garlic Sea Salt, if you like. Pour mixture over casserole, spreading evenly to the edges.
- Bake Moussaka until topping is browned in spots, approximately 5–10 minutes. Serve hot.
Per serving: Calories 400, Fat 21 g (Saturated 5 g, Trans 0.3 g), Cholesterol 100 mg, Sodium 680 mg, Carbohydrate 26 g (Fibre 8 g, Sugars 12 g), Protein 29 g.