Old-fashioned Oatmeal Cake
1 cup oat flakes
1 1⁄2 cups boiling water
1⁄2 cup butter
1 cup sugar
1 cup brown sugar, tightly packed
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 1⁄3 cups all-purpose flour
1 tsp baking soda
1⁄2 tsp salt
- Combine oats and water. Let stand for 20 minutes.
- Lightly butter and flour a 9” x 13” pan. Shake out excess flour.
- Preheat oven to 350° F (175° C).
- Cream butter and sugars until light and fluffy. Add eggs and vanilla extract and beat until smooth. Add oatmeal mixture and stir to combine.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together dry ingredients. Add to creamed mixture and blend until smooth.
- Spread evenly into pan. Bake for 30 minutes.
- Frost, if desired, and serve from the pan.
Per serving: Calories 200, Fat 7 g (Saturated 4 g, Trans 0.2 g), Cholesterol 45 mg, Sodium 210 mg, Carbohydrate 34 g (Fibre 1 g, Sugars 23 g), Protein 3 g.