Mexican Tortilla Lasagna
Italy meets Mexico meets North America in this fuss-free tortilla lasagna casserole. Perfect for freezing, too.
1 1⁄2 lbs (675 g) lean ground beef
1 can (28 oz/796 ml) diced tomatoes
1 tbspPoco Picante Salsa Mix
1 tbspTaco Seasoning
1 can (14 oz/398 ml) kidney or black beans, drained and rinsed
9 small corn or whole-wheat tortillas, divided
2 tbsp Pueblo Bean Dip Mix
2 cups cottage cheese
1 egg, beaten
1 1⁄2 cups grated low-fat cheese (cheddar, Monterrey Jack, partly-skimmed mozzarella)
- Preheat oven to 350° F (175° C).
- In a frying pan, brown beef over medium heat.
- Add next 3 ingredients, and simmer for 5 minutes. Add beans, and set aside.
- Line a 9” x 13” casserole dish with 3 tortillas. Add beef mixture, and top with 3 more tortillas. Set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, combine Pueblo Bean Dip Mix with cottage cheese and egg. Spoon over lasagna, and top with last 3 tortillas.
- Sprinkle with cheese, and bake for 30 minutes.
Per serving: Calories 290, Fat 7 g (Saturated 2.5 g, Trans 0 g), Cholesterol 65 mg, Sodium 520 mg, Carbohydrate 27 g (Fibre 4 g, Sugars 5 g), Protein 28 g.
Flavour Changer: Try Epicure Fajita Seasoning instead of Taco Seasoning.
Gluten-free Tip: Simply use gluten-free corn tortillas.
Cut cooking time with leftover cooked ground beef.