This guilt-free, low-fat dessert has only 140 calories per serving! Cut into small bites for delicate nibbling.
1⁄2 cup cocoa powder
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 tsp baking powder
1⁄2 tsp salt
1 1⁄2 cups sugar
2 tbsp unsalted butter, melted
2 egg whites
1⁄2 cup applesauce
1 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350° F (175° C).
- Lightly spray an 8" x 8" pan with vegetable oil.
- Sift cocoa powder, flour, baking powder and salt into a medium mixing bowl.
- In large bowl, whisk together sugar, butter, egg whites, applesauce and vanilla extract.
- Stir flour mixture into wet ingredients until just combined.
- Pour into prepared pan and bake 35–40 minutes (for chewy brownies, do not overbake). Cool in pan and cut into squares.
Per serving: Calories 140, Fat 2.5 g (Saturated 1.5 g, Trans 0 g), Cholesterol 5 mg, Sodium 105 mg, Carbohydrate 29 g (Fibre 2 g, Sugars 21 g), Protein 2 g.
Using a stainless steel strainer or dredger, sift icing sugar or cocoa powder overtop for a decorative touch.