Instant Pot™ Cuban Braised Shredded Beef
Inspired by a Cuban favourite Ropa Vieja, the name translates as “old rags” as the shreds of crumpled beef resemble them. The classic recipe is a saucy mix of meat, sweet bell peppers, onion and tangy olives. It’s typically made with flank steak, but we love how pot roast guarantees tender, flavourful juicy shreds. We also love the time-saving, hands-off Instant Pot™ approach versus simmering away for hours on the stovetop. This dish is very rich – so a little goes a long way! For a traditional presentation, serve with rice and black beans.
Perfectly Balance Your Plate
Serve with 1⁄2 cup rice and 1 cup steamed veggies, your choice.
Toppings (optional): chopped fresh cilantro, fresh lime, sliced avocado
- In an 8 Quart Instant Pot™, stir together tomatoes, wine or broth, bay leaves, Fajita or Taco Seasoning, Italian Seasoning and Smoked Paprika and salt, if using.
- Cut roast in half and place in pot. Thinly slice onion, then scatter over meat and stir in, as best as you can.
- Secure lid; ensure the steam release handle is switched to “SEALING”. Press “MANUAL” button, select “HIGH”, and set the time to 45 min. Meanwhile, using the thick slicer plate (3.5 mm) 4-In-1 Mandoline, thinly slice peppers into strips. Cut olives into halves or thirds.
- Naturally release pressure, then push the steam release handle to “VENTING”. Remove the lid. Using two forks, shred meat. Add sliced peppers; press SAUTE and simmer, stirring often, until tender, about 5 min. Stir in olives.
- Serve over rice and add toppings, if desired.
Per serving: Calories 310, Fat 21 g (Saturated 8 g, Trans 0 g), Cholesterol 105 mg, Sodium 150 mg, Carbohydrate 5 g (Fibre 1 g, Sugars 2 g), Protein 23 g.
Like it tangy? Stir in some of the briny olive juice at the end of cooking. Swap olives for 2 tbsp capers.