Chocolate Buttermilk Cake
Great for entertaining or a girls' night in – who doesn't love chocolate cake?
2 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
2 tsp baking soda
1 tspCinnamon , optional
1 tsp salt
1 cup vegetable oil
1 cup buttermilk
1 cup cocoa powder
2 1⁄4 cups sugar
1 tsp vanilla
1 cup boiling water
- Preheat oven to 350° F (175° C).
- In a bowl, use a fork to stir flour with baking soda, Cinnamon, if desired, and salt. In another large bowl, whisk oil with buttermilk, cocoa, sugar, eggs and vanilla.
- Pour buttermilk mixture over flour, then pour in boiling water. Stir just until mixed (batter will be runny). Do not overbeat, or cake will be tough.
- Divide mixture between two 9” pans lined with parchment paper. Bake for about 35 minutes, until toothpicks inserted in the centre of cakes come out clean.
- Let cool in pans. Run a knife along the inside edge of pans and turn cakes out onto cooling rack. Cool completely.
Per serving: Calories 320, Fat 22 g (Saturated 2.5 g, Trans 0 g), Cholesterol 55 mg, Sodium 360 mg, Carbohydrate 24 g (Fibre 2 g, Sugars 1 g), Protein 6 g.