Veggie & Halloumi Burger
Perfectly Balance Your Plate
Serve with 1 cup oven fries (about half a potato), and 2 tbsp prepared Big Burger Sauce (use to top burger and dunk fries).
1 block (12 oz/350 g) medium-firm tofu
1⁄2 pkg Veggie Burger Mix
1⁄3 cup quick oats
1 tbsp vegetable oil
1⁄2 block (9 oz/250 g) halloumi cheese
1⁄4 small red onion
1 head iceberg lettuce, 8–16 leaves
Toppings (optional): prepared Big Burger Sauce
- Drain tofu. In large bowl, use your hands to crumble tofu, breaking it up into small pieces.
- Grate carrot until you have about 1 cup; squeeze to remove excess liquid. Add carrot, seasoning, and oats to crumbled tofu, stir until well combined. Form into four balls and pack together tightly. Flatten into thin patties.
- In fry pan, heat oil over medium-high heat. Cook patties until golden brown, 3–4 min per side.
- Meanwhile, cut cheese into eight slices. Slice tomato and onion.
- Remove patties from pan and set aside. In the same pan, fry cheese until golden-brown, about 1 min per side.
- Divide half the lettuce leaves on plates; cover with patty, cheese, tomato, and onion slices, then remaining lettuce.
Per serving: Calories 320, Fat 17 g (Saturated 6 g, Trans 0.2 g), Cholesterol 30 mg, Sodium 570 mg, Carbohydrate 25 g (Fibre 7 g, Sugars 4 g), Protein 24 g.
Can’t find halloumi? Try feta cheese instead, just skip the pan-fry.