Saucy Smokin’ Beef Burgers
Perfectly Balance Your Plate
Serve with 2 cups mixed greens and 1 tbsp of your favourite Epicure dressing.
1 lb (450 g) lean ground beef or chicken
2⁄3 cupSmokin’ BBQ Sauce, divided
1 pkg (8 oz/227 g) sliced mushrooms
4 slices Swiss cheese (optional)
1 tsp butter
4 burger buns, preferably whole wheat
Toppings (optional): sliced red onion, lettuce or baby spinach
- Preheat grill to medium-high heat.
- In a bowl, combine beef with 3 tbsp sauce and egg. Form into four patties.
- Grill with lid closed, about 4 min per side or until cooked through. Top with cheese, if using, for the last 1 min of grilling.
- Meanwhile, place mushrooms and butter in a Multipurpose or Round Steamer. Cover; microwave on high until tender, about 4 min. Add remaining sauce; cover and microwave on high for 1 min or until heated through.
- To serve, place burgers on bottom bun halves. Generously spoon warm sauce over top. Add toppings, if desired. Cover with top bun.
Per serving: Calories 330, Fat 9 g (Saturated 3 g, Trans 0.5 g), Cholesterol 125 mg, Sodium 610 mg, Carbohydrate 36 g (Fibre 4 g, Sugars 14 g), Protein 30 g.
Streamline prep time and make the Smokin’ BBQ Sauce a day or two ahead so that the meal is ready in less than 20 minutes.
To test burgers for doneness, insert an instant read thermometer sideways into the burger. It should register 160° F.