Empanadas are fried or baked pastries with sweet and savoury fillings.
4 cups all-purpose flour
2 tsp baking powder
2 tspTaco Seasoning
1 tsp salt
1 cup cold butter or vegetable shortening
1 1⁄4 cups ice water
- Preheat oven to 375 °F (190° C).
- Whisk together first 4 ingredients in a mixing bowl.
- Using a pastry blender, cut butter into dry ingredients until mixture looks ‘crumbly.’ Pour ice water into centre of mixture. Using a fork, stir until mixture comes together.
- Turn out onto floured surface and knead until flour is incorporated and dough is smooth.
- Roll dough out to 1⁄8" thick. Use a 3" cutter to cut out circles of dough.
- Place 2 heaping teaspoons of Spiced Sweet Potato Filling in centre of each round. Fold dough over to make half-moons. Press down gently on the edges, using a fork to seal.
- Place empanadas on parchment-lined Sheet Pans. Brush egg wash on surface. Use a fork to poke a few holes in tops to allow steam to escape during baking.
- Bake for 20 minutes.
Per serving: Calories 100, Fat 4.5 g (Saturated 2.5 g, Trans 0 g), Cholesterol 20 mg, Sodium 65 mg, Carbohydrate 13 g (Fibre 1 g, Sugars 1 g), Protein 2 g.