This classic, creamy dish is delicious served over noodles or rice with a liberal sprinkling of parsley or chives.
2 large eggs, beaten
1 cup milk
2 slices bread, crumbled or 1/2 cup dry breadcrumbs
1 tsp allspice (ground)
1⁄4 tsp nutmeg (ground)
2 lbs (900 g) lean ground pork, chicken, turkey or beef
1 tbsp vegetable oil
6 cups sliced mushrooms
1 can (28 oz/385 ml) non-fat evaporated milk
1 cup beef broth
1 tspLemon Dilly Dip Mix
Sea Salt (Grinder), to taste
Black Pepper, to taste
3 tbsp all-purpose flour
1 tbsp lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 375° F (190° C).
- Combine eggs, milk, breadcrumbs, allspice and nutmeg in a large bowl.
- Add meat and mix well. Roll rounded tablespoons into 1” balls and place on Sheet Pan lined with parchment paper. Bake 15 minutes, then transfer to a slow cooker.
- While the meatballs are baking, heat oil in a large pot. Add mushrooms to the pan and cook 10 minutes over medium-high heat until beginning to brown and liquid evaporates.
- Add mushrooms, evaporated milk, beef broth and Lemon Dilly Dip Mix to slow cooker. Season with Salt and Pepper. Cover and cook on LOW for 4 hours, or until bubbling.
- Whisk flour and 1⁄3 cup cold water and stir into slow cooker. Cover and continue to cook on HIGH for 20 minutes, or until thickened. Stir in lemon juice and serve.
Per serving: Calories 460, Fat 27 g (Saturated 9 g, Trans 0 g), Cholesterol 160 mg, Sodium 220 mg, Carbohydrate 15 g (Fibre 1 g, Sugars 9 g), Protein 37 g.