6 slices rye or pumpernickel bread
1 tbsp vegetable oil
2⁄3 lb (340 g) pastrami or corned beef, sliced and cut into strips
2 tbsp brown sugar
1⁄3 cup white balsamic vinegar
1 tbsp mustard – your choice
1 pkg (1 lb/500 g) coleslaw mix
6 slices Swiss cheese
- Preheat oven to broil.
- Place bread slices on a parchment-lined Sheet Pan. Set aside.
- Heat vegetable oil in frying pan over medium-high heat.
- Add pastrami slices and cook for 2 minutes. Stir in brown sugar, white vinegar and mustard until sugar is dissolved.
- Stir in coleslaw mix until coated. Reduce heat to medium and cook uncovered, stirring often for 10 minutes or until cabbage is tender and most of the liquid has evaporated. Season to taste with Pepper. Set aside.
- Place tray of bread under broiler for 2 minutes or until lightly browned. Turn slices over.
- Divide Reuben mixture among bread slices. Top with Swiss cheese and return to oven. Broil until cheese is melted, about 2 minutes.