The warm, fragrant spices that give mulled drinks such rich flavour are amazing with roast meat — the aroma alone is mouth-watering!
1 1⁄2 cups apple cider or apple juice
1⁄4 cup Mulling Spices
1 (6-8 lb/3-4 kg) cooked, smoked boneless ham
3 cups brown sugar, divided
2 tbsp maple syrup or honey
2 tbsp orange juice
- Preheat oven to 325° F (160° C).
- Bring cider and Mulling Spices to a boil in Multipurpose Pot - 8 cup. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15 minutes to develop flavour. Strain, reserving liquid. Discard solids.
- Place ham in roasting pan (without rack) or casserole dish just large enough to hold it. Score top and sides in a diamond pattern. Firmly pat 1 cup sugar over top and sides.
- Pour cider into pan. Loosely tent with foil and bake 30 minutes. Remove foil and, using a turkey baster, baste with pan juices. Cover and continue baking for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a Multipurpose Pot, stir 2 cups sugar with maple syrup and orange juice over medium heat, until melted.
- Remove foil, and spoon sugar glaze overtop ham. Bake uncovered, basting frequently with pan juices, for an additional hour, until a dark glaze forms.
- Discard pan juices and let ham stand for 10 minutes before slicing.