This classic soup is loaded with rich beef flavour but doesn’t skimp on the veggies. The perfect meal to come home to on a chilly day.
Serve with 1 slice whole-grain bread, 2 cups leafy greens, and 1 tbsp Epicure Salad Dressing, your choice.
1 tbsp oil
1 1⁄2 lbs (675 g) cubed stewing beef
2 celery stalks
2 cups sliced mushrooms
2⁄3 cup uncooked pot barley
2 tbsp tomato paste
6 cups water
1 pkg Beef Dip Seasoning or Hearty Beef Stew Seasoning
PROGRAMMABLE PRESSURE COOKER
- In 8-quart programmable pressure cooker, program to SAUTÉ. Heat oil; add beef and cook until browned on all sides.
- Slice carrots into half moons. Dice celery. Add carrots, celery, mushrooms, barley, tomato paste, water, and seasoning to pot.
- Secure lid. Place steam release valve in SEALING position. Press MANUAL button, select HIGH, and set time to 25 min. This will take some time to get up to temperature before the timer starts to count down.
- When the cook time has finished, let the pressure release naturally for 15 min.
- Using a long-handled spoon, push the steam release valve to VENTING position. Release pressure completely before opening lid.
- In a large pan, heat oil over medium-high heat. Brown beef. Transfer to a 6-quart slow cooker.
- Slice carrots into half moons. Dice celery. Add carrots, celery, mushrooms, barley, tomato paste, water, and seasoning to slow cooker.
- Cover and cook on high 4–5 hours. The liquid should be bubbling, and the beef and veggies should be tender.