Gluten-free Chai Spice Shortbread
Some gluten-free recipes call for xanthan gum (fermented glucose) or guar gum (made from guar beans) as they have thickening properties that are required in the absence of gluten.
1 3⁄4 cups gluten-free flour
1 tsp xanthan gum
1 tbsp chai spice or cinnamon
1 cup butter, at room temperature
1⁄2 cup icing sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350° F (175° C).
- Combine gluten-free flour, xanthan gum, and chai spice in a bowl.
- Beat butter until light and fluffy. Sift in icing sugar and beat again.
- Add flour mixture and combine. Add vanilla extract and mix until dough comes together.
- Spoon approximately 1 tbsp of cookie dough onto a Sheet Pan lined with a Sheet Pan Liner leaving 2 inches between cookies. Bake for 18–20 minutes, until bottoms brown lightly. Once slightly cooled, gently move them to a cooling rack.
Per serving: Calories 140, Fat 8 g (Saturated 5 g, Trans 0.2 g), Cholesterol 20 mg, Sodium 2 mg, Carbohydrate 17 g (Fibre 1 g, Sugars 3 g), Protein 1 g.