This Mexican version of crème caramel is slowly baked in a pie plate. Best made the day before serving.
1 cup sugar, divided
1⁄4 cup water
4 egg yolks
2 1⁄2 cups milk, homogenized or 2%
2 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 325° F (160° C).
- Stir 1⁄2 cup sugar with water in Multipurpose Pot over medium heat until dissolved. Boil, occasionally swirling pot (not stirring), for 5 minutes, until mixture turns syrupy and a deep-amber colour.
- Pour into a 9" glass pie plate. Tilt to coat bottom evenly. Set plate inside a large oven-proof pan and set aside.
- Whisk eggs with yolks and remaining 1⁄2 cup sugar in a bowl. Whisk in milk and vanilla extract. Pour over caramel.
- Add enough hot water to pan to come halfway up the side of pie plate. Bake for 40–50 minutes, until a knife tip inserted in centre comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and cool completely in water bath. Remove plate, cover and refrigerate to chill completely.
- To serve, run knife around inside edge to loosen. Place a serving plate overtop, then quickly invert and lift off pan.
Per serving: Calories 170, Fat 7 g (Saturated 2.5 g, Trans 0 g), Cholesterol 235 mg, Sodium 85 mg, Carbohydrate 22 g (Fibre 0 g, Sugars 18 g), Protein 8 g.
Health Tip: Using low-fat dairy products is a great way to reduce artery-clogging saturated fat.