Tajine is a beautiful, fragrant, flavourful chicken stew with chickpeas and lemon.
2 tbsp oil
2 lb (1 kg) boneless, skinless chicken thighs or 2–3 large chicken breasts, cut into bite-sized pieces
1 can (19 oz/540 ml) chickpeas, drained and rinsed
1 pkg Tajine Seasoning Mix
3 cups cold water
1⁄3 cup sliced green olives, optional
1⁄3 cup sliced dried apricots, optional
1⁄2 cup pitted prunes or dates, optional
zest and juice of 1 lemon
- Preheat frying pan over medium heat.
- Swirl oil in pan, add chicken, and brown until golden. Add chickpeas.
- In a large measuring cup, dissolve contents of pouch in water. Pour over chicken.
- Add remaining ingredients and simmer, covered, 25 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add lemon zest and juice immediately before serving.
Per serving: Calories 280, Fat 10 g (Saturated 1.5 g, Trans 0 g), Cholesterol 65 mg, Sodium 350 mg, Carbohydrate 28 g (Fibre 6 g, Sugars 0 g), Protein 20 g.
Make It Meatless: Replace chicken with 4–6 cups your choice of cubed root vegetables. Cook until tender.