Super fancy—cut recipe in half for a single layer cake.
4 medium-sized carrots
2⁄3 cup oil
1 cup crushed pineapple
1 cup whipping cream
1⁄4 cup butter
1 pkg (8oz/250 g) brick light cream cheese, softened
Toppings (optional): carrot curls
- Coarsely grate carrots; measure out 4 cups and set aside.
- Lightly oil two 8” Round Cake Pans.
- In a large bowl, whisk eggs with oil and pineapple. Stir in mix and 4 cups grated carrot. Divide batter between pans; smooth top.
- Microwave one cake at a time on high for 8 min. Rest in pan 5 min; invert cakes onto Cooling Racks. Or, bake both cakes, at the same time, in preheated 350° F oven for 35–40 min. Cool 10 min before unmolding onto racks.
- Let cakes cool completely while preparing icing. You can place them in the fridge to speed up the process.
- In a Multipurpose Pot, whisk sauce mix with cream and butter. Bring to a boil over high heat, whisking often. Reduce heat to medium; simmer and whisk frequently for 3-4 min. Cool completely (refrigerate to speed up time). If making ahead, cover and refrigerate up to 3 days.
- Place cream cheese in a bowl. Using an electric mixer, beat on high until smooth, scraping down sides occasionally. Add cooled caramel sauce; beat until light and fluffy.
- To assemble, spread a spoonful of icing in centre of a cake plate or pedestal. Place one cake on top. Spread half the icing over top of cake. Gently place remaining cake on top. Spread remaining icing over top of cake just to the edges. There will be leftover icing—if you wish you can ice the whole cake or freeze it for another day.
Leftover grated carrot? Add to smoothies, sandwiches, soups or salads.
Replace crushed pineapple with unsweetened apple sauce.
Cooking time may vary based on microwave wattage.