The sweetness of these tomatoes is balanced with pungent garlic, walnuts and spice. Serve hot or make ahead and serve at room temperature.
6 Roma tomatoes, cut in half lengthwise
4 tbsp olive oil, divided
2 tbsp walnut crumbs
2 - 3 garlic cloves, crushed
1 cup soft breadcrumbs
1 tsp allspice, ground
- Preheat oven to 350° F (175° C).
- Scoop out flesh from tomato halves into a bowl and reserve.
- Warm 2 tbsp oil in frying pan. Add walnuts and cook gently until golden, ensuring the oil or the nuts do not get scorched.
- Stir in remaining ingredients and cook until breadcrumbs start to brown.
- Stir in reserved tomato pulp, mashing with a fork to break it down a little.
- Arrange tomato halves in a baking dish. Fill with breadcrumb mixture. Drizzle with remaining oil and bake for 25 minutes.
- Serve at room temperature straight from baking dish.