General Tao Chicken
You can use either chicken or tofu in this dish but General Tao Seasoning is non-negotiable! Add rice and veggies to perfectly balance your plate.
Perfectly Balance Your Plate
Serve with 1 cup rice and 1 cup steamed veggies.
1⁄4 cup water
2 tbsp low sodium soy sauce
2 tbsp ketchup
1 lb (450 g) boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cubed
1⁄4 cup cornstarch
3 tbsp vegetable oil
2 bell peppers, chopped
- In a bowl, whisk together seasoning, water, soy sauce, and ketchup. Set aside.
- Toss chicken with corn starch.
- Preheat wok over high heat, then swirl in oil; stir fry chicken in batches until golden, about 5–8 min. Remove pieces as done; set aside.
- Add peppers to wok; stir-fry 1–2 minutes. Return chicken to pan. Add sauce, stirring to coat.
- Serve with rice, if desired.
Per serving: Calories 300, Fat 13 g (Saturated 1.5 g, Trans 0 g), Cholesterol 65 mg, Sodium 440 mg, Carbohydrate 21 g (Fibre 2 g, Sugars 8 g), Protein 25 g.
Replace chicken with 1 lb (450 g) firm tofu, cut into cubes.