French Canadian Tourtière (Meat Pie)
2 tbsp milk
1⁄2 lb (225 g) each lean ground beef, lean ground pork, and ground veal
2 tbsp all-purpose flour
2 tbsp3 Onion Dip Mix
1 tbspHerb & Garlic Dip Mix
1 tsp Pumpkin Pie Spice
1 tbspBeef & Steak Seasoning
1 1⁄4 cups beef broth
1 1⁄4 cups water
4 cups small cubed potatoes, boiled until tender
Sea Salt, to taste
Black Pepper, to taste
2 x 9" pie pastries, prepared or store-bought
- Beat egg with milk. Set aside.
- Cook meats in a large pan over medium heat until no longer pink inside. Drain excess fat.
- Sprinkle flour and Epicure seasonings over meat, stirring well.
- Combine beef broth and water. Add slowly and stir. Simmer until most of liquid has evaporated. Add potatoes, Sea Salt, and Black Pepper.
- Remove from heat. Cool to room temperature or refrigerate.
- Preheat oven to 425° F (220° C).
- Place chilled filling into prepared bottom pastry shell. Brush edges with egg and milk mixture and top with second pastry. Crimp edges and poke steam holes in top.
- Bake 20 minutes. Reduce temperature to 350° F (175° C). Continue baking for 20 minutes.
Per serving: Calories 420, Fat 18 g (Saturated 6 g, Trans 0 g), Cholesterol 115 mg, Sodium 290 mg, Carbohydrate 38 g (Fibre 3 g, Sugars 2 g), Protein 27 g.